Thursday, April 14, 2011

STM Countdown

Spokane's Top Model is just days away. Like day after tomorrow days away. Last time I looked at my calendar, I had a month left.

Within that month, I went back to school, I increased my hours at work, I started an amazing new job, and I am currently still in the process of moving. I also switched from ice cream to frozen yogurt...

Among the very long days and extremely short nights, I did my best to prepare for STM. Guys, switching over from ice cream to frozen yogurt needs a 12 step program.

The last couple months I've actually done several runway shows and a handful of photoshoots, including the STM model photoshoot held on February 26th...I was able to model and shoot a sample from Ronnie Kimball Ryno's line, Glamarita, and participate in Spokane's Best Boutique's fashion show two weeks ago (Thank you PJ, Julie Farley,Tangerine, and Fringe). There is nothing more I appreciate than the opportunity to put miles on the catwalk, especially before this show.

The main reason why I wanted to write this blog tonight (after a 16 hour day, nonetheless) was because I wanted to comment on some of the press surrounding this event. I have been disappointed in the majority of publications featuring STM, not only as a model, but as a community member of Spokane.

I was almost outraged by the article I read in the "Gonzaga Bulletin" several weeks ago with insensitive descriptions like:

"Who is this off the shoulder wouldn't-pass-the-finger-test dress wearin' foxy Cleopatra workin' this parking lot right now?"

or...

"I enter into a bustling room of burnt hair and … good Christ, is this Northtown Mall's dreadful accessory store, Claire's?"


Obviously this mocking tone seemed to have set the standard for future publications (read the entire article here). Not that I'm not used to the criticism and bashing that comes with the territory of this industry. Thanks for pulling my head out of the clouds when I actually thought this event could be something positive, exciting, and innovative for a city that could use a little more color and style - especially in a way that allows many young women to push themselves, develop confidence, and maybe even experience a little bit of the fashion industry when NYC, LA, Paris, or Milan seems a bit too far fetched. Who knew making dreams come true was something to scoff at? Or maybe you can strut your stuff behind your harsh adjectives, but not when it comes to the catwalk.

Today, I was featured in an article from The Inlander but the article fell short of my expectations. I think that the majority of people have a prejudice against the fashion industry, especially when it comes to modeling, and "The Inlander" missed the mark when it comes to what this event is about (article here). The modeling industry is definitely flawed, but I had hoped Spokane would be able to overcome the stereotypes and prejudices and have an event that brings new opportunity to Spokane. Let's face it, Spokane is definitely not what immediately pops into my head when I think "trendy" and "fashion." Try "mullets" and "sweat pants." If a city could be featured on TLC's "What Not to Wear"...

The thing that makes Spokane great is that we do have an amazing plethora of fashionable boutiques and salons! Spokane's Top Model features 8 top boutiques and 8 top salons from all around the city. This event isn't about the models at all...but featuring what Spokane has to offer and what you are missing out on.

The article, like the majority of fashion publications, features the downsides of the industry. Why group Spokane into a stereotype when it hasn't even become applicable yet? STM features a number of different models - of different ethnicity, builds, and backgrounds - way more than what you would see at a cookie-cutter casting in one of the top fashion capitals of the world. In fact, many of us aren't even built like industry standard models, many of us aren't skinny, but that wasn't the point of this competition.

That leads me to really dissect The Model. I think many people have a false understanding of what makes a good model, what a model does, and how the industry works. First of all, models are not beautiful people. They simply have a bone structure and a body type that has developed as "ideal" in the fashion industry. Many of the world's most successful models and not attractive. But the fashion industry isn't about the model, it's about what the model is modeling - the clothing, the brand, the style, the fashion. A model is simply a canvas for an artist or a medium for an advertiser. While I definitely consider modeling to be an art-form itself, the model is never the focal point of the creation nor is she the focus of what's on the runway - what she's modeling is. The competition is about SO much more than just pretty faces....it was never about pretty faces to begin with, nor should it have been. How many new clients will walk into the doors of the 8 salons and 8 boutiques after the competition? How many people will call up a model and ask for their services? Exactly.

I really do hope that after this competition someone from Spokane will realize they too have a passion for fashion...and we have the potential to have a GREAT city for it. I am more than excited to share my dream, my passion, and my "canvas" with a community that I think can do better. We have 8 salons, 8 boutiques, and 39 other models who are more than ready to do the same.

Oh, and to set the record straight...I did not know what Pabst Blue Ribbon was before I Googled it. PBR has always been Professional Bull Riding to me...


Spokane's Top Model
April 16th, 7PM
The Knitting Factory
Spokane

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I'm so proud of you for posting this! Good luck tonight!

    ReplyDelete